There is a chance that you have decided that you would like to play the cello and there are different reasons why you may want to do this. First and foremost, you may be interested in wanting to play the cello because of the beauty of the instrument. It can produce sounds like no other. People would have to admit that the sounds just sound more dramatic whenever the cello is used to play.
Highly skilled cellist are well known and admired because playing this instrument is not very easy. A lot of effort would have to be made in order to make sure that it will be played quite well. Would you like to learn how to play the cello?
There are different things that you ought to know so that you will not have a lot of problems:
- Get Your Own Cello – You cannot expect that you will be able to play the cello properly without having your own instrument. You have to make sure that you will purchase your own. This can be a problem if you do not have a high budget but when you start, you don’t have to get an expensive one. It usually does not cost much for a beginner cello set, which can be a few hundred dollars only. Do remember that it is always good to have your own instrument!
- Make Sure that Your Cello is in Tune – One of the main headaches cello learners have, is their cello going out of tune. You can’t play or learn when your cello is out of tune. If you have a cello teacher, then you can get help from her. Otherwise, you have to learn how to tune it yourself!
- Have the Right Accessories – A cello set only comes with a bow and the cello. That is the basic you will need. However, you will need other accessories as you go along. You may need a shoulder rest to help you get better support with your cello. You will need a rosin for your bow. You need a good cello case to protect your cello too!
Now that you already have all the needed items in order to start learning how to play the cello, the next step that you have to take is to make sure that you will learn how to play the cello properly. At this point, you have two options.
Your first option is to engage a cello teacher who can help you out. While people may be able to learn how to play the cello better when they are young, it does not mean that those who are already adults cannot learn how to play. The right cello teacher can help you out and will give you the cello lesson that you need.
If you do not have enough budget to engage a cello teacher especially with all the initial expenses that you had to pay in order to have your own cello, your option is to learn it on your own. Here are some of the tips that can help you out:
- Make sure that you will follow proper posture when you are playing. Trying to play the cello while having bad posture will not work at all. This will also have an effect on the way that you play so make sure that you will play properly. To follow proper posture, make sure that you will rest your feet flat on the ground.
- Your seat would have to be adjusted. This will make it easier for you to understand what you ought to do. Or stand up if you can.
- Make sure that you will follow the hand positions that are stated on the manuals and the videos that you will watch. If you will position your hands the wrong way, you will have a hard time playing the correct notes properly.
- It will be a good idea to get to know the various techniques that you can do in order to make it easier for you to learn how to play. Do remember that before you start doing techniques, make sure that already know how to make the basics first.
Other Cello Tips to Remember
There are still other tips that you ought to remember so that you can find it easier to learn how to play the cello:
- You have to be familiar with the notes that you are going to use. If you are not familiar with them, you will have a harder time trying to understand what notes can go with the different notes on the cello.
- You would have to watch some tutorial videos all over and over again until such time when you understand what you ought to do. It also does not mean that just because you got it the first time, you have already mastered it.
- You should always take time to practice. You have to accept the fact that playing cello entails hard work and if you would not practice, you will surely have a harder time playing the cello properly. It will take longer and longer until such time when your passion to do it will be lost. Do not let this happen to you.
- Remember that playing the cello is not like the piano. When you play the piano, you just need to press the correct key. But on the cello, you have to gauge the correct position on the string for the cello to produce the correct note.
- Develop your skills further by challenging yourself. There will be moments of triumphs when you are able to get through some of the challenges you have set for yourself but do not get tired of challenging yourself more and more.
The things mentioned above will always make you better so follow these tips to become good at playing the cello.